He was also the founder of XIM, Bhubneshwar and Goa Institute of Management.
Today he was announced as a recepient of Padma Shri for his contribution to Education and Literature.
View the List of Awardees here
The GoI has named Fr. Rumualdo D'Souza for the Padma Shri this year. He was the Director of XLRI in the late 1980s and taught Stress Management among other subjects at the institute. Fr. Rumualdo, a mild mannered Jesuit, was the founding Director of XIM, Bhubaneshwar and Goa Institute of Management. Below is an impressive list of institutes he founded and positions he has occupied in his career of 50+ years as a Jesuit educationist:
- Xavier Centre of Historical Research Porvorim (Goa)
- Thomas Stephens Konkanni, Povorim (Goa)
- Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneshwar
- Goa Institute of Management, Ribandar (Goa)
- National Institute of Construction Management, Ponda
- Marian Institute of Health Care Management, for the Archdiocese of Goa and Daman
- President of the Association of Indian Management Schools
- Member of Executive Council of Association of Management Development Institutes of South Asia
- Member of National Board of Accreditation and All India Board of Management Studies, Government of India
- Professional Member of Academy of Management (USA)
- Member of International Council of Psychologists
- Member of the American Psychological Association
- Member of the Board of Directors, IIT, Mumbai
- Director of Goa Education development Corporation
- Director of State Technical Education Council, Goa
- Member of Goa Education Development Corporation Board
- Member of Knowledge Commission of Goa
News Story from the internet:
Rumualdo, a Jesuit priest and brother of former Goa chief minister Wilfred D'Souza, was speaking to reporters Tuesday.
Rumualdo, who was among the 130 Padma Shri awardees announced Monday, said the education system needed an urgent overhaul.
"The examination system should be scrapped. Teachers should be allowed to assess the performance of students instead. The system of examinations promotes other bad practices like tuitions, coaching classes etc," Rumualdo said.
The priest, who has been awarded the Padma Shri for his contribution to the field of education, has also founded the Goa Institute of Management (GIM), which is one of the top management institutes in western India.